Sajati is a senior associate in the Mergers, Acquisitions and Corporate Practice Group and she advises clients on wide spectrum of corporate matters, with particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, compliance, governance, employment, ESG and renewable and green energy.
She joined Azmi & Associates in August 2015 as a pupil under the tutelage of Dato’ Azmi Mohd Ali, the Senior Partner of the Firm and was called to the Malaysian Bar and admitted to the roll of Advocates and Solicitors of the High Court of Malaya on 27 May 2016. She thereafter continued her practice with the Firm until the present time. She holds a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (Hons.) (2015) from the University of Malaya. While working with the Firm, she also pursued her postgraduate studies at her alma mater and graduated with a Master of Laws (LL.M) (Distinction) in 2018.
She has more than 5 years of working experience and undertaken numerous domestic and cross-border transactions across various industries. She has worked with clients of various backgrounds – from listed conglomerates, public non-listed companies and private companies to individuals. Her experience includes preparing various documentations, conducting legal due diligence and advising on regulatory compliance. She also supports the clients in managing employment issues, navigating governance matters and shaping their internal documents or policies.
Some of her notable assignments to date are as follows:
• Advised a listed conglomerate in the restructuring of its subsidiaries under the automotive divisions valued at RM1.7 billion including successfully obtaining a stamp duty waiver arising thereof.
• Advised a Malaysian listed conglomerate in the proposed restructuring of its group of companies including transfer of several lands with the sales consideration of more than RM1 billion.
• Advised Kulim (Malaysia) Berhad, a company principally engaged in oil palm plantation in its joint venture with A2 Fresh Sdn Bhd, a company engaged in the livestock industry for a potential dairy project in Johor.
• Advised UMW Corporation Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of UMW Holdings Berhad, in the internal restructuring of its heavy equipment companies in Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar and Papua New Guinea under a joint venture company incorporated in Malaysia and the disposal of minority shares in the said Malaysian joint venture company to Komatsu Ltd.
• Advised UMW Holdings Berhad in the proposed internal restructuring and disposal of its oil and gas companies and assets in Malaysia, Australia, China and Singapore.
• Advised Victaulic, a global company, in the corporate restructuring of its Malaysian subsidiary under a Belgian holding company in place of the existing Victaulic Lux holding structure.
• Advised QSR Brands (M) Holdings Berhad in its joint venture with Foodpanda with a view to establishing a halal-compliant food logistic service provider and outsourcing of KFC & Pizza Hut delivery business to Foodpanda in order to complement the existing delivery services of KFC and Pizza Hut restaurants.
• Advised a Qatar-based private equity company for its proposed acquisition of shares in a Malaysian holding company with a view to consequentially acquire private and international schools situated in the East and West Malaysia held through eight subsidiaries for USD50 million.
• Advised Duopharma Biotech Berhad in the acquisition of Preferred Stock amounting to USD5 million in AZTherapies Inc, a private, late-stage clinical biopharmaceutical company based in Boston, USA focusing on treatment of neurodegenerative diseases.
• Advised companies such as Sime Darby Berhad, UMW Holdings Berhad, selected joint ventures of UMW Holdings Berhad, Ranhill Holdings Berhad and Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad on their compliance with the laws such as the Companies Act 2016, Main Market Listing Requirements, Development Financial Institutions Act 2002, Malaysian Code on Corporate Governance.
• Reviewed or prepared the constitution of various companies including Sime Darby Berhad, UMW Holdings Berhad and companies under UMW Group, PERODUA Group, Luminor Capital Group, Pelaburan Hartanah Berhad Group, Ranhill Holdings Berhad and Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad.
• Advised Tenaga Nasional Berhad in the preparation and review of the constitution of Zero Emission Vehicle Association, a society comprising members from BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) ecosystem which aims to promote the use of BEV towards reducing carbon emission.
• Reviewed the terms of reference of the board committees, board charter and director’s manual of Sime Darby Berhad to be in compliance with the Companies Act 2016, Main Market Listing Requirements and Malaysian Code on Corporate Governance.
• Assisted UMW Holdings Berhad in drafting or reviewing its internal governance documents such as constitution, board charter, committees’ terms of reference, directors’ service contracts and directors’ manual and other internal documents.
• Assisted Shinewing TY Teoh, a leading regional accounting and consulting firm, in drafting and preparing its Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption Policy.
• Advised Malaysia Venture Capital Management Berhad and its Hong Kong partners in the setting up of an exempted limited partnership fund in the Cayman Islands, with a maximum fund size of USD600 million and targeted investments in the green technology and renewable energy sector.
• Advised Axiata Digital Innovation Fund Sdn Bhd in its additional investment in Katsana Holdings Sdn Bhd.
• Assisted Kumpulan Wang Persaraan (Diperbadankan) for its investment in a RM300 million private equity fund focused on investing in Shariah-based industries.
• Assisted Westfield Star Sdn Bhd in its disposal of a US-registered helicopter.
• Assisted Securities Industry Development Corporation, the training and development arm of Securities Commission Malaysia, to update the chapter on Takeovers & Mergers for the Capital Markets Services Representative Licensee’s (CMSRL) training module.
• Assisted Malaysian Insurance Institute (MII), the leading professional body and education institution for the Malaysian insurance industry, in reviewing and updating its module on the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Act 2009 (MACC Act) including Section 17A to be in line with the MACC Act as well as incorporating industry-specific corruption scenarios.
• Advised a concessionaire in a concession agreement with the Government of Malaysia relating to its supply rights and liabilities under said agreement.
• Assisted a public listed company in relation to its proposed establishment of Group Employee Share Option Scheme (ESOS) valued approximately RM360 million.
• Assisted FWD Takaful Berhad in drafting an endowment agreement in relation to its endowment and collaboration with a private institution in Malaysia and on the potential structures of a fund proposed to be established by it.
• Advised Padiberas Nasional Berhad in the surrender of 12 leases in various states in Peninsular Malaysia and assisted in obtaining the replacement titles for leases without original title.
• Assisted Lear Automotive (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd for the disposal of its plant in Klang.
• Assisted UMW Corporation Sdn Bhd in the proposed disposal of real properties to the appointed dealers.
She is currently part of the Mergers, Acquisitions and Corporate Practice Group under the supervision of our Partner, Norhisham Abd Bahrin.