SHERENA KHAIRUL SUMAN graduated from University of Cardiff with a LL.B (Hons) in 2018 and proceeded to complete the BPTC at City, University of London. Having being called to the Bar of England and Wales and she is a member of Middle Temple. She also continued to pursue her LL.M at the City, University of London focusing on Money Laundering and Terrorism Financing.
Sherena is part of the Senior Partner’s Office at Azmi & Associates where she deals with matters of cross-border mergers and acquisition, due diligence reports, oil and gas related advisory and negotiations for take-over of asset and businesses and the drafting of agreements that falls within each purview. During her university years, she was focused on commercial and company law matters as well as fraud and economic crime disputes.
Upon returning to Malaysia, she underwent pupillage at Messrs Shearn Delamore & Co where she worked primarily on general disputes, banking litigation and retail banking matters while assisting on general dispute files. Sherena is a trained litigator from her experiences in the litigation department. Previously, she interned at Messrs Benjamin Dawson and Messrs Ariff Rozhan & Co while completing her LL.B. She was admitted to the Malaysian Bar in April 2022.
Some of Sherena’s assignments are as follows:-
• Assisted in drafting Share Sale Purchase Agreements, Collaboration Agreements, Joint Venture Agreement, Employment Contracts and Supplemental Agreements.
• Spearheaded cross boarder negotiations involving an oil and gas take-over between client and governmental officials of different nationalities.
• Due diligence and legal advises relating to taking over operatorship of platforms, oil fields and vessel.
• Assisted in advising clients on matters of foreign investment procedures and specially curated investment agreements.
• Assisted with legal advisory for a Korean Company on forming their Joint Venture Company and their potential liabilities with regard to importation of vehicles and liaising manufacturers in Malaysia.
• Advises and liaises with corporate companies on ESG and sustainability related matters together with a team of experienced lawyers.
• Legal Researcher for Court of Appeal and Federal Court cases.
• Headed the retail banking cases involving the lease and auction of properties owned by the bank.
• Frequently liaises with Heads of Government Departments on importation matters and government incentives.
• Managing a portfolio of files and liaising with clients and solicitors for adverse parties / counter parties in particular trial matters for electricity theft, execution proceeding (auction, post auction, post auction and Land Office matter) in Banking and Finance litigation on high profile litigation cases.
• Assisted in Summary Judgment and Default Judgment matters for corporate companies as a process of debt recovery, its cause papers, injunction, and interlocutory relief.
• Frequently assists with corporate development matters with foreign clients and solicitors.