Norhisham brings 23 years of corporate legal experience with him.
He is currently a Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions Partner at Azmi & Associates, a legal firm with more than 80 lawyers in Kuala Lumpur. His practice focuses on investments, corporate and commercial transactions, private equity & venture capital, corporate governance and compliance.
He has strong business acumen having advised major corporate transactions for listed companies and GLCs across a number of industries including automotive, palm oil plantation and real estate.
Norhisham also maintains a robust corporate governance practice and is a regular speaker in the market. He has conducted more than 85 public and in-house programs in the last 5 years for many entities including the Securities Industry Development Corporation (SIDC), Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA), Malaysian Insurance Institute (MII), and the Malaysian Directors Academy (now known as the Institute of Corporate Directors Malaysia). He also coaches board members of public listed companies and GLCs on corporate governance issues.
Corporate & Commercial Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Investments, Restructuring, Due Diligence, Joint-Ventures, Cross-Border Investments, Private Equity, Companies Act 2016, Bursa Malaysia Listing Requirements, Compliance, Risk Management, Corporate Governance (MCCG, Board Responsibilities & Accountability, Shareholder Activism, Anti-Corruption, Cybersecurity, Sustainability and ESG), Strategic Planning and Negotiation Skills.
• LLB (Hons.) International Islamic University Malaysia (1999)
• MBA in International Business, Royal Docks Business School, University of East London (2012).
• Advocate & Solicitor at the High Court of Malaya
• Member, Kuala Lumpur Bar
• Member, Institute of Corporate Directors Malaysia (ICDM).
HIGHLIGHTS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
Norhisham’s key transactions are as follows:
• Advised a listed conglomerate in the restructuring of its subsidiaries under the automotive divisions valued at RM1.7 billion including successfully obtaining a stamp duty waiver arising thereof.
• Advised a listed company on its joint venture and shareholder agreements involving 5 separate companies.
• Advised an aviation company in relation to the restructuring of its aviation business by de-merging the business into 2 separate units including the assets, leases and licenses thereof.
• Advised an aviation company in relation to the sale of a 30% stake to a private equity powerhouse for USD202 million.
• Advised a listed company on its proposed restructuring and de-merger exercise involving the upstream poultry cultivation and processing businesses.
• Advised a listed company in the internal restructuring of its heavy equipment companies in Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar and Papua New Guinea under a joint venture company incorporated in Malaysia and the disposal of minority shares in the said Malaysian joint venture company to a Japanese conglomerate.
• Advised a listed company on the internal restructuring and disposal of its oil and gas companies and assets in Malaysia, Australia, China and Singapore.
• Advised QSR Brands (M) Holdings Bhd, the region’s largest quick-service restaurant operator for a joint venture arrangement with the Delivery Hero Group and Foodpanda Malaysia to establish a halal-compliant food logistic service provider as well as to complement the existing delivery services of KFC and Pizza Hut restaurants on Foodpanda Malaysia’s platform.
• Advised Malaysian Venture Capital Company Berhad (MAVCAP) for the setting up of and investment in a USD600 million Exempted Limited Partnership Fund based in Cayman Islands.
• Advised a GLC on its proposed land right acquisition for palm oil plantations involving equity and asset acquisitions amounting to RM1 billion.
• Advised an aviation company in relation to the proposed joint venture with the national oil company of Mozambique, Africa.
• Acted as the Malaysian counsel for the IPO of Arena Events Group plc on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) of London Stock Exchange. Attended to the due diligence exercises on the Malaysian subsidiaries and prepared the legal opinions for the purpose of listing in our capacity as the Malaysian counsel. The IPO raised a total of approximately £60 million.
• Advised Kumpulan Wang Persaraan (Diperbadankan) for its investment in a RM300 million private equity fund focused on investing in Shariah-based industries.
• Advised a concessionaire in a concession agreement with the Government of Malaysia relating to the provision of hospital support services valued at RM1.3 billion.
Norhisham Abd Bahrin
+603 2118 5016
+6013 338 1868