Khairul Fazli graduated from International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) with Second Class Upper LL.B (Hons) in October 2005.
He joined Messrs. Azmi & Associates in November 2005 as a pupil and was called to the Malaysian Bar and admitted to the roll of Advocates and Solicitors on 17 November 2006.
He holds different positions in Azmi & Associates from November 2006 to May 2012 before he was promoted to Partner of Messrs. Azmi & Associates and Head of the Multimedia, Technology and Intellectual Property Practice Group on 1 June 2012.
He left Messrs. Azmi & Associates in May 2014 to another law firm, where he leads the Intellectual Property and Commercial Practice Group of that firm prior to his resignation on 28 February 2017. He re-joins Messrs. Azmi & Associates on 1 March 2017 as a Partner in charge of Multimedia, Technology and Intellectual Property Practice Group.
To date, he has been dealing with various matters relating to intellectual properties, biotechnology, information and communication technology, technology, franchise, corporate and commercial, amongst others, as follows:
• He has attended to the registration of trademarks and industrial designs in Malaysia and foreign jurisdictions for various local as well as foreign companies and provided legal advices and services in respect of copyright and trademark infringement issues. His previous and current clients include Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS), MISC Berhad, Sime Darby Property Berhad, Ayamas Food Corporation Sdn Bhd, DRB-HICOM Berhad, Padiberas Nasional Berhad, KFC Holdings (Malaysia) Berhad, Bank Muamalat Malaysia Berhad, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat Malaysia Berhad, Malaysia Building Society Berhad (MBSB), Al Rajhi Banking & Investment Corporation (Malaysia) Berhad, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Biotropics Malaysia Berhad, Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Open University Malaysia and Eastern Pacific Industrial Corporation Berhad (EPIC);
• He assisted companies to conduct intellectual property due diligence on the target companies for the purpose of merger and acquisition as well as investment His clients include Malaysian Venture Capital Management Berhad (MAVCAP), Malaysian Technology Development Corporation (MTDC), Malaysian Debt Ventures Berhad (MDV) and Khazanah Nasional Berhad;
• He assisted research and educational institutions as well as companies in Malaysia in respect of the development and commercialization of their intellectual properties, amongst others, by drafting Licensing Agreement, Option Agreement, Technology Transfer Agreement, Commercialization Agreement, Graduate Research Fellowship Agreement, Scholarship Agreement (Foreign Students), Collaboration Agreement – Student Joint Supervision Program, Consultancy Services Agreement, Collaboration Agreement, Research and Development Agreement, Intellectual Property Assignment Agreement. His clients include Forest Research Institute of Malaysia (FRIM), Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Sime Darby Research Sdn Bhd and Biotropics Malaysia Berhad;
• He has assisted foreign and Malaysian clients in respect of ICT-related projects, amongst others, by drafting agreements in respect of the data centre and disaster recovery centre, Software Licensing Agreement, Software and Hardware Purchase Agreement, Software and Hardware Maintenance Agreement, Collaboration Agreement, ERP Project Agreement, IVV Services Agreement, Master Services Agreement for Registrar Transfer Agreement, Application Development Tools Supply and Services Agreement, Robo-Advisory Licensing and Services Agreement, CYSECA Software Licensing and Services Agreement, Virtual Private Network Broadband Rental Services Agreement, Telecommunication System Services Agreement, Supply, Delivery, Installation, Customization, Integration, Testing And Commissioning, Training And Warranty (Including Maintenance) of the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System Including Post Warranty Comprehensive Maintenance Agreement, Consultancy Agreement, Perjanjian Perkhidmatan Sewaan Naiktaraf Sistem Kawalan Pertahanan Internet (IPS) UPMNET and Collaboration Letter in Respect of The Beta Testing. His clients include Network for Electronic Transfers (Singapore) Pte Ltd, BIMB Investment Management Berhad, Pernec Intergrated Network Systems Sdn. Bhd., Bank Muamalat Malaysia Berhad, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat Malaysia Berhad, Pelabuhan Tanjung Pelepas Sdn Bhd, CyberSecurity Malaysia, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA), Malaysia Building Society Berhad (MBSB), Al Rajhi Banking & Investment Corporation (Malaysia) Berhad and Malaysian Software Testing Board;
• He assisted Malaysian Debt Ventures Berhad (MDV) in respect of the setting up of the Intellectual Property Financing Scheme which includes the review of the relevant documents to reflect the intellectual property elements;
• He has provided the necessary legal assistance to a government-linked company which has been entrusted by the Government of Malaysia in respect of the establishment of the Malaysian Software Testing Hub;
• He has attended to franchise matters (related to Islamic pawnbroking business, Islamic clothing businesses and stationeries business) which include the drafting of the franchise agreement as well as the registration of franchise with the appropriate authority; and
• He has assisted various clients on commercial matters involving collaboration as well as joint venture
He is also the author of several articles on laws relating to franchise, pharmaceutical, personal data protection, domain name, copyright and trademark, which have been published in local as well as international newsletters.
He presented several papers on intellectual property related matters, amongst others, on Introduction to Intellectual Property Laws, Procedures of Trademark Registration in Malaysia, Intellectual Property Due Diligence: Its Importance and Franchise Laws in Malaysia.
He is a trademark as well as industrial design agent registered with the MyIPO.
He is currently the Partner in charge of Multimedia, Technology and Intellectual Property Practice Group at Messrs. Azmi & Associates.