Syed Zomael is a qualified lawyer from India. He obtained his degree in law from the University of Calcutta, India, in 2009. He also holds a LLM in International Commercial Law (with Merit in Comparative Corporate Law) (2011), from the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK.
He has been actively guiding and advising clients on all kinds of corporate legal matters including mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, joint-ventures, projects, corporate advisory, information technology laws, intellectual property, foreign investments etc.
Some of Syed Zomael’s notable assignments include:
• Advised Groupe Lactalis (a French Dairy Group, recognised as the second largest dairy company in the world) on its acquisition of Nestle’s chilled dairy and manufacturing business/assets in Malaysia. This included conducting legal due diligence exercise on Nestle Malaysia entities and advising on transaction documents.
• Advised Endless LLP, a UK based international private equity investor (a LLP), on its acquisition (via a company registered in the UK, as the acquisition vehicle) of subsidiaries’ shares and/or assets of Party City Holdings Inc, an American publicly traded retail chain of party stores involving a pre-completion reorganization exercise of the target group followed by acquisition of selected target entities and their subsidiaries involving the jurisdictions – USA, UK, Germany, Switzerland, Madagascar, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Maldives. This included conducting legal due diligence on the target in Malaysia which is in Manufacturing business and advising on transaction documents.
• Conducted legal due diligence on a manufacturing company in Malaysia (“Target”) for Fujifilm (“Fuji”) in relation to Fuji’s proposed acquisition of the Target.
• Advised D&Y Textiles (a textile manufacturing company) on its inter-company transaction involving a conversion of debt to redeemable convertible preference shares exercise including preparing the relevant agreements and documents.
• Advised KIA Corporation (a South Korean multinational automobile manufacturer) on its joint venture in Malaysia entailing importation, manufacturing and exportation of KIA branded vehicles in Malaysia.
• Advised an Anglo-American medical products and technologies Group on an acquisition by the Group’s subsidiary (a company registered in Luxembourg) of 100% shares in another subsidiary (a company registered in Malaysia) of the Group, from a UK based subsidiary of the Group, as part of the Group’s worldwide re-organization exercise, being carried out via distribution in specie and selective capital reduction mechanisms.
• Advised Worldwide Holdings Berhad in relation to a 1,200 MW combined cycle gas turbine power plant project, including advising on relevant agreements i.e. EPC Contract and Operations & Maintenance Agreement.
• Advised a purchaser on its acquisition of approximately 20% shares in an offshore helicopter services providing company, for more than RM500 million.
• Advised Agrinos Inc (a USA-based fertilizer manufacturing company) on its proposed corporate restructuring exercise.
• Advised Foot Locker (USA-based footwear retail brand) on market entry requirements in relation to its expansion in Malaysia.
• Advised Monster Energy (USA-based beverage company) on market entry and regulatory requirements in relation to its expansion in Malaysia.
• Conducted due diligence exercise over a local gas distribution company in India, drafted Shares Sale & Purchase Agreement, prepared statutory transfer instrument forms and related documents with respect to appointment and resignation of directors, amendments in incorporation documents, in relation to 100% acquisition of the gas distribution company.
• Advised a Government controlled Finance Corporation in relation to 100% acquisition of a large public company operating in the power sector in India worth INR63million.
• Advised India-based wholly-owned subsidiary (engaged in renewable energy) of a USA based leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm, on compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
• Provided regular advisory pertaining to intellectual property, information technology laws and drafted and negotiated various agreements including but not limited to SaaS Agreements (Software as Service), Assignment Agreements, Investment Agreements, for one of the prominent e-commerce companies in India.
He has also interned with Stronachs LLP, UK (2013) (a Aberdeen-based coprorate and commercial law firm) for a brief period. He is currently attached to the Senior Partner’s Office headed by Dato’ Azmi Mohd Ali.