Daphne Sue Suet Yan graduated from the University of Warwick with a LL.B (Hons) in 2017 and obtained the Certificate in Legal Practice in 2018.
She underwent her pupillage in Adnan Sundra & Low, where she had good exposure in the department of debt capital market and banking & finance and was actively involved in legal due diligence, drafting of legal documents and advisory matters.
She was admitted to the Malaysian Bar in January 2020. She then joined Azmi & Associates in March 2020 as an Associate, under the supervision of Dato’ Azmi Mohd Ali where she gained experience in corporate matters.
Some of her notable assignments include:
• Assisted in a reverse-takeover exercise of Ancom Logistics Berhad (listed on ACE Market) including conducting detailed legal due diligence and drafting circular;
• Assisted in an unconditional mandatory take-over offer to acquire all the remaining shares of Pimpinan Ehsan Berhad (listed on Main Market);
• Assisted in a private placement of new ordinary shares in Malaysian Smelting Corporation Berhad including drafting verification notes, meeting minutes and preparing legal due diligence report.;
• Assisted in a selective capital reduction and repayment exercise via court confirmation procedure pursuant to Section 116 of Companies Act 2016;
• Assisted in setting-up and registration of a franchise, including drafting licensing and franchise agreements;
• Reviewed the classification of Strategic Items under the Strategic Trade Act 2010 with Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) to exempt the application for approved permit for an export manufacturing company including drafting and submission of memorandum and attending meeting with MITI Officers;
• Assisted in a sale and purchase transaction of a property of RM170 million;
• Advised on a joint venture exercise between a local company and an US company; and
• Assisted and advised in the following acquisition exercises including conducting legal due diligence and drafting shareholder’s agreement, share purchase and subscription agreement, investment agreement and security document:
– acquisition of entire ordinary share capital in an insurance broker company;
– acquisition of shares/assets of a private hospital;
– acquisition of a mask manufacturing company by acquiring 25% ordinary shares and subscribing 10 million redeemable preference shares of the company; and
– acquisition of solar farms with a total capacity of approximately 64MWa.c. and the issuance of redeemable preference shares to the investors of the project.
She is currently part of our Mergers, Acquisitions and Corporate Practice Group 6 under our Partner, Jonathan Law.