Natalia Izra received her American High School Diploma from Brussels American High School, Brussels, Belgium and obtained her LL.B Hons in Second Class (Upper) from Staffordshire University, United Kingdom in 1999. She then subsequently obtained the Certificate of Legal Practice in 2002.
Her pupillage was carried out in Shearn Delamore in 2002 and she was then called to the Malaysian Bar and admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor in 2003.
Prior to joining Azmi & Associates, Natalia was a Partner in the Dispute & Resolution Practice Group at Zul Rafique & Partners. She has also served as an associate in Raja, Darryl & Loh as well Zaid Ibrahim & Co, amongst others. She joined Zul Rafique & Partners in 2008 and became a partner in the said firm in 2013. Natalia was nominated as the Woman Lawyer of The Year at the 6th Annual ALB Malaysia Law Awards 2019.
Natalia’s area of specialisation is in general civil litigation. Throughout her practice she has handled disputes relating to amongst others the following matters: banking, probate, land, tenancy as well as tortious claims in respect of personal injury and defamation.
She has acted as both lead and co-counsel in respect of a variety of different types of disputes in the civil courts (at the subordinate, High Court and the appellate levels) in Malaysia.
During the tenure of her career, Natalia has acted as counsel or co-counsel in amongst others, the following cases: –
- Advised and acted as counsel for a number of financial institutions in respect of both conventional and Islamic banking claims;
- Advised and acted as lead counsel for a local university in a substantial number of cases involving breach of scholarship agreements;
- Advised and acted as co-counsel for a well-known bus operator in a suit it lodged against its’ counter-party in a joint venture agreement. Prior to the trial, an injunction was successfully obtained to prevent the counter-party from disrupting service to hundreds of passengers at a low-cost flight terminal;
- Advised and acted as lead counsel for a local airlines company in a trial revolving a claim lodged against it by a former service provider;
- Advised and acted as co-counsel / counsel for a petrol station operator in respect of a nuisance claim lodged against it by neighboring individuals;
- Advised and acted for an entity in a matter which involved acts of fraud committed against it that in turn led to lands being unlawfully transferred to third parties;
- Advised and acted as counsel for a dredging company in a matter involving a ship collision resulting in damage to the claimant’s property;
- Advised and acted as counsel for an individual sued by a corporate entity on the basis of amongst others, breach of fiduciary and/or directors’ duties. The claim against the said individual was dismissed at the conclusion of trial;
- Advised and acted as counsel for a communications service provider in a claim lodged against it by an individual for mental distress;
- Advised and acted as co-counsel for a multinational company in a claim lodged against it by another entity to lift the veil of incorporation vis-a-vis the said multinational;
- Advised and acted as counsel for a multinational company in a land valuation suit against a local government authority; and
- Advised and acted as counsel for a trading conglomerate in a suit against its former solicitor for the latter’s acts of fraud and financial misappropriation.
She has conducted various talks for clients and external organisations regarding issues surrounding contractual and/or tortious disputes. In addition, she also assisted in the drafting of the Rules of Court 2012.